- Self-organization of New Structure
- Developmental Epistemology
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Development
- Time series and Longitudinal Data Analysis
- Dixon, J. A., Stephen, D. G., Boncoddo, R. A. , & Anastas, J. (2010). The self-organization of cognitive structure. In B. Ross (Ed.), The psychology of learning & motivation, vol. 52, (pp. 343-384). San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Stephen, D. G., Boncoddo, R. A., Magnuson, J. S., & Dixon, J. A. (2009). The dynamics of insight: Mathematical discovery as a phase transition. Memory & Cognition, 37, 1132-1149.
- Boncoddo, R., Dixon, J. A., & Kelley, E. (2010). The emergence of a novel representation from action: Evidence from preschoolers. Developmental Science, 13, 370-377.
- Stephen, D. G., Dixon, J. A., & Isenhower, R. (2009). Dynamics of representational change: Action, entropy, & cognition. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance, 35, 1811-1822.
- Stephen, D. G., & Dixon, J. A. (2009). The self-organization of insight: Entropy and power laws in problem solving. Journal of Problem Solving, 2, 72-101.